JF Antique Radio Repair -- Tube Equipment Repair (Radios, Amplifiers, and Car Radios)
Repair vs Restoration:
I repair equipment and do not perform restoration.
Restoration involves placing new parts within the shells of the old parts, or placing new parts inside of moulds of old parts that are painted to look like the old parts.
Repair involves installing new parts under the chassis. All exposed parts on top of the chassis stay in place (are not removed).
Service and Costs:
- Basic chassis repair includes: Removal/reinstallation in cabinet, chassis cleaning; checking tubes; lubrication/cleaning of moving parts; diagnostics; minor component replacement; re-alignment; and bench test.
- Minor Components replaced include: All filter and paper capacitors; out of tolerance resistors; frayed line cord; bad pilot lights; and other minor defective components.
- Major Component replacement: If your tube equipment has bad or missing tubes; missing components, bad volume/tone/balance/etc. controls; a destroyed speaker; burnt power or
open audio/IF/RF transformers; open coils; bad tuning condensers; a broken/missing dial string; been exposed to the elements; and/or had rodent infestation; repair will cost appreciably more.
If tube equipment has been stored in a damp basement or garage, chances are it will have Major Component failure.
- Basic Repair Charge: $10.00 per tube for Labor, plus Minor Component Costs. Minor component costs generally ranges from $25 to $75, depending on number of tubes.
For example: Basic Repair Charge for a 5 tube radio would be $75, and for a 10 tube radio $175.
- Major Components Installation Charge: Labor for installing Major Components, plus Major Component costs is charged separately.
For equipment requiring Major Component Replacement, Total Repair Cost generally ranges from $175 to $450.
- Sorry, No cabinet refinishing/restoration. Cabinet cleaning/touchup will be considered on a case by case basis.
Repair turn around time: Three weeks, pending parts delivery.
Average Repair Cost: $208 for 2017.
Estimates: Estimates over the phone, by email, or in person are Free. Provide make, model and condition.